Legitimate interests refer to those uses of personal data by a data controller that are deemed necessary (e.g. to provide a product or service) or reasonably to be expected by a data subject.
Some of the most obvious include credit checks and risk assessment, to comply with law enforcement and regulatory bodies, for employment data processing, and product development and improvement.
Article 6.1 of the GDPR defines the lawful grounds for data processing as follows:
- Consent of the data subject
- Processing is necessary for the performance of a contract with the data subject or to take steps to enter into a contract
- Processing is necessary for compliance with a legal obligation
- Processing is necessary to protect the vital interests of a data subject or another person
- Processing is necessary for the performance of a task carried out in the public interest or in the exercise of official authority vested in the controller
- Necessary for the purposes of legitimate interests pursued by the controller or a third party, except where such interests are overridden by the interests, rights or freedoms of the data subject. (Note that this condition is not available to processing carried out by public authorities in the performance of their tasks.)
Trustopia runs a business-wide compliance programme to ensure we fully adhere to the requirements of GDPR, both in the data management within our own business, as well as the provision of data to our customers.
Trustopia may legitimately process personal information with your consent for carefully considered and specific purposes which are not only in our and your interest but are intended to enable Trustopia enhance the services it provides, which it believes also benefit our customers.
When we process your personal information for our legitimate interests, we make sure to consider and balance any potential impact on you (both positive and negative), and your rights under data protection laws. Our legitimate business interests do not automatically override your interests – we will not use your Personal Data for activities where our interests are overridden by the impact on you (unless we have your consent or are otherwise required or permitted to by law).
Any ‘legitimate interest’ Trustopia may have, will not ever override the fundamental right or freedoms of an individual (data subject).
Whenever we process data for these purposes we will ensure that we always keep your personal data rights in high regard and take account of these rights. You have the right to object to this processing if you wish by contact us by using the contact form on this site, emailing email@example.com or calling us on +44 (0)207 0521590.